Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Dypsis lutescens repot advice

Posted by Palm_shade (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 12:38

Hi
I've just brought a new Dypsis lutescens but not sure to repot ,change medium pot up etc.

The potting mix is naturally peat based and has compacted a fair amount.
I have a fresh batch of 5-1-1 I've meticulously made, should I risk damaging the palm by trying to remove as much old soil as possible and replacing with new bark based? Then would I go up a pot size? The same pot it's in is preferable but not essential as the palms Heath is.

I've found in the past when I've gone ahead and repotted Dypsis lutescens in 5-1-1, as carful as I may be I still end up with the loss of a few fronds and only about 50% of old soils removed. I feel that this palm will have a larger route system than previous ive worked on so would probably be more challenging and risky.

It's quite confusing really as the palm is in hard peat based soil but is extremely healthy and in tip top condition.
If I leave it is it likely to decline as the soil breaks down over time? should I simply pot up with a similar potting mix?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Dypsis lutescens repot advice

Hi
I don't grow those in pots so not much help Those that I do grow in pots Joey, bottle , white elephant I use a mix
of pine bark . top soil and leca . For Dypsis think I'd add
a bit more top soil . I always remove evey bit of soil when repotting gives me a chance to check the roots
Since they are a clumping palm and thirsty no long tap root to contend with as with many solitary palms
Are you keeping it indoors year around?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here