Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkgibbs3

veggies or herbs in mostly shade?

rkgibbs3
10 years ago

So, I'm not much of a flower gardener. I grow some non-edible plants, but I'm more of a....practical gardener? Functional gardener? Not sure what to call myself, hehe.

Basically, I prefer growing things that serve a purpose beyond just looking nice. I enjoy herb, veggie, and anything else that is edible type of gardening.

I've been trying to do some research on edible plants I can grow in containers and in mostly shade. My reason for this is because I'd like to have some plants liven up my front porch. My front porch only get about 2hrs of morning sun. From about 1 hr after sunrise is when it starts, and then last for about 2 hours. In the summer when the days are longer, the sunlight lasts a little longer. But to play it safe we'll say 2 hours, 3 max.

I found this list of shade tolerant edibles: http://www.examiner.com/article/40-fruits-vegetables-and-herbs-that-will-grow-partial-shade

Any thoughts? Anything to add to the list, or anything you've tried and would take off the list?

Herbs can serve for medicine and/or culinary use. From my understanding, culinary herbs will not have as strong of a flavor if grown in the shade.

Some plants I can put on my porch steps and they'll get 3-6 hrs of sunlight since they won't be under the awning.

Oh, and the front porch faces the east, which is why it only gets sun a little after sunrise after the sun peaks up above the house & trees across the street.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (2)