Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips in Containers

Posted by mary_max Z 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 12:47

I purchased some beautiful tulips today and quickly stuck them in large pots for a beautiful show. My question is do I take these tulips out of the pot after their show so I can put my annuals in place or do they remain in the pot with the annuals? If they need to be pulled out what do I do with them to keep them ready for next year?Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips in Containers

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 13:09

Not all tulips are created equal in how easy/difficult it is to get them to rebloom - especially those you've had in a pot for a a bloom cycle.

Here's the deal - you get the tulips in bloom or ready to bloom. They expend all their energy putting on a show for you, and then need to recharge. The way they do that is by using their foliage to trap the suns energy (after you deadhead) and store it in the bulb for the next growth cycle. The problem is, a pot is not a favored place for tulips, so they most usually can't store enough energy to push a bloom the next year. You could try a liquid fertilizer when the blooms are going over, and plant the whole soil mass in a VERY dry spot with excellent drainage without disturbing the roots, but it's still an iffy thing as to whether or not they'll rebloom.

Think of the coldest, rockiest spot in your garden & the worst soil with the best drainage in full sun, and you have the best spot to plant them - deep - about 3X the diameter of the bulbs. Most tulips are residents of the mountains of Asia & prefer sharp drainage and extremely dry summers. Many people dig their tulips after they die back & let them go dry in a cool dark spot until fall, and replant then.

Al

o
RE: Tulips in Containers

Your information has been very helpful. Thanks you so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here