Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonrossy

Anyone familiar with Home Hardware for Pine Bark Fines

sharonrossy
11 years ago

Hi it's me again. Just went on the website for Home Hardware because I have a store that will order for me but I can't tell what the pine bark fine equivalent is for what they have listed under soil amendments.
Thanks, if anyone has experience, much appreciated.
sharon

Comments (6)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

The All Treat Canada Red 2cf pine bark garden mulch looks promising to me. It's bark, it's not described as shredded or in nuggets and it contains no dye. Do you have time to order one bag to check before placing a large order? I found the All Treat company online. Maybe you could call them and ask about it.

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ohiofem,
    For the Alltreat Natural pine bark mulch this is the decription. For the Alltreat Red it just says beautiful for landscaping. I will have to call them on Monday because I just can't figure it out. In the meantime, I am going to use ProMix BX as a starting point .

Shredded natural cedar bark mulch derived from Ontario's forest industry for attractive landscaping applications
    Interlocking cedar fibres are excellent for sloped areas
    Natural colour
    Reduces weeds
    Retains moisture
    Conditions soil
    Winter protection

What's your take? I have to call the store to find out what's the minimum order. They also carry a pine bark mulch whose label I can't read and there is no real description as well.
    Sharon

11 years ago

I wish someone else would chime in. I chose the Canada Red as the best bet because of what it says in the All Treat website:
    Canada Redî is a completely natural, undyed mulch derived from pine bark. It blends beautifully into any landscape or garden and results in an eye-catching professional job. Apply to a depth of 2"-3" to suppress weeds and retain soil moisture.

I would steer away from shredded bark. And I have read that cedar is mildly allopathic, meaning that it gives off a chemical that suppresses the growth of other plants.

As for Promix, it is a very good product. But keep in mind that it is 85% peat. It's not a substitute for bark.

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree with you. I'm having trouble trying to keep all the types straight. Anyways I will call tomorrow and also check out the hemlock from my local garden place. To be continued. Thanks a million. At this stage, I keep petting my seedlings!
    Sharon

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ohiofem,
    So I called All Treat and she said the Canada Red Pine Bark Mulch could vary in size. However, she just sent me a photo from her cell phone and you are right, it looks perfect. Thanks a million.

Sharon

11 years ago

That's great! Now all you have to do is figure out how to mix it all up. I've been doing a little bit (25-50 gallons at a time) each week. Big job. But oh so exciting when it all comes together. Good luck and keep us all informed about how it goes.