Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

Need advice re: bloodgood maple

vp_78
9 years ago

We inherited a Bloodgood Japanese Maple growing in a large container when we bought our house, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've done some research, and I've read that they only survive in a container for a few years before they need to be planted in ground. Other sources say they can live for a long time in a container.

My dilemma therefore is to decide whether to hang onto it for as long as I can, or to give it away to someone who can plant it in ground. It's about 5 feet tall, has a trunk diameter of about an inch to an inch and a half, and is covered in leaf buds and a few emerging leaves.

I would be grateful for input from those with more knowledge than me! Thank you!

Comments (6)

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW here are the reasons why I concluded that it's a bloodgood:

1) Most of the local nurseries here (including the box stores and the larger locals) carry bloodgoods

2) The leaves are consistent with bloodgoods -- mostly red, but will green up when it gets hot

3) I've compared the leaves to the bloodgoods at our local nurseries, and they appear identical.

So I don't know for certain that it's a bloodgood, it's just my best guess based on information available. And I can post a pic after the leaves emerge.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

You can keep it in a large container indefinitely if you do regular maintenance, i.e. root-pruning and replacing the soil when it is spent. Japanese maples in containers are rather popular.

Josh

9 years ago

Here's my Bloodgood for future comparison....I put it in the ground last year, and it has done very well.

Josh

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Josh! Yours is really pretty, but it looks like it's in the ground. Or is it in a sunken planter? And why do you have the netting around it?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I had a whole long response written out, then got distracted and lost it!! But Josh has answered in a much more concise manner anyway :-))

I've attached a link to a long running thread on this forum regarding growing maples in containers. Hopefully it will provide the additional info you need. There is an even longer running thread on growing trees (in general) in containers if you do a search. Both should be a great resource.

btw, I grow ALL my Japanese maples in containers, some in excess of 15 years.

9 years ago

Nika, it is in the ground :-) I mentioned that I put it in the ground last year. The fencing is to protect the tree from deer. They will eat every bud, leaf, and twig....and then they'll destroy what's left with their antlers. I have to keep trees fenced until the foliage is out of reach of the deer and the trunks are too thick for antler scraping.

Josh