Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatonut

Why can't some garden soil be used in containers

tomatonut
13 years ago

I saw a deal on Miracle Grow potting soil (or maybe it was Scott's?) that is supposed to contain fertilizer and other ingredients to promote "heavy growth." The bag states the soil is not to be used in containers and I am wondering why this is? What happens if I use some of this "amended soil" into containers? I did this for a few tomatoes and they have taken off like no one's business. Is there a long-term problem in using this soil not made for containers? Thanks for the help

Comment (1)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Soils that contain a lot of fine particles - especially topsoil and fine sand mixed with peat or compost, compact easily, 'squeezing' the air out of the soil and allowing water to take its place, which creates anaerobic conditions that kill roots or impair their function.

Generally speaking, the greater the amount of air your soil holds, the greater the potential for your plants to grow to be all they CAN be. The minor downside to these soils is you often have to learn to make your own and water a little more often, but the upside is it's MUCH easier to grow healthy plants, with a much wider margin for 'grower error' - PLUS it's cheaper.

If you'd like to learn more about the concept, just follow this embedded link.

Al