Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size and depth of container needed

Posted by kinook 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 13:10

can I grow vegetables and strawberries in a container 12 inches wide by 14 inches long and 6 inches deep if so which types would be ok. (in a greenhouse)
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size and depth of container needed

You'd want to choose plant types with shallow root systems... so many of your larger vegetable choices would be taken off the table... such as most tomato types, carrots, etc...

I'm not a consummate vegetable grower, but I'd probably choose seed types that were recommended for container growth... like your Tom Thumb cherry tomatoes that can be grown in hanging baskets. Certain types of sprouts and lettuce might be good choices... or bush type vegetables... green peppers, perhaps... beans, bush type... etc...

I wish I could help further... perhaps some of our more illustrious vegetable growers will chime in with variety names... or, you could check the forums dedicated to vegetable growing...

o

I don't know about growing in a greenhouse, but if you're interested in growing vegetables in containers, I recommend you read McGree and Stuckey's The Bountiful Container. The book covers the varieties to grow, the size pots needed, how to fertilize, and an all around discussion of container vegetable gardening. I'm neither Stuckey nor McGree, nor am I related to them. I just love the book. Maybe it is available at your library, and if that one isn't, perhaps another one would work. Anyway, I found it way beyond helpful.

o

I have friends who grow herbs in similar containers - sage, oregano, thyme, chives, dill, et cetera.
They grow Jalapenos, green onions, garlic, and fingerling carrots in small solo containers, as well.
It works somewhat, but the plants are smaller in stature and the harvest is limited.

Josh

o

That would be my main concern... amount of total harvest. I think that unless you're planning on planting a LOT of smaller containers, it might not be worth your while... unless you live and eat alone. ;-)

o

Ah, those of you who have the strength and soil to grow vegetables in ground, how I envy you. There is nothing better than fresh produce, IMHO.

o

I agree... I like knowing exactly how my produce is grown, what it's fertilized with, what sort of chemicals are used on it, how it's handled from garden to plate. And I like that it's picked when ripe, and not picked ahead of time because it has to be shipped a thousand miles to reach its destination, to sit on some store produce department shelf.

Plus, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of picking fresh fruits and vegetables you've grown yourself... and the wonderful flavor of home grown!

o

Thank you very much for all your valuable input,I will have to change my plans and go with a deeper container

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here