Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Elephant Ears

Posted by LittleOtterPup Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:15

I have a massive concrete pot, 4 feet x 4 feet (the pot is identical to the one in the picture) and got 2 elephant ear bulbs (they are very large bulbs, as large as my hands). My question is can they bulbs be planted in the concrete pot and what location (total sun, part sun or shade) is best for growing them. Any info would be awesome, thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Elephant Ears

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 14:33

There is an Aroid forum here that might be of interest to you.
to answer your question, yes you can. They will be an annual in your state so this fall you will need to store either the plant in the pot or dig up and store the bulbs.

I have grown them for years and they seem to do just fine for me in full sun but I think they do prefer part sun. Also in the heat of the summer they will take all the water you can give them.

Mike

o
RE: Growing Elephant Ears

There are several different plants called elephant ears. They are mostly colocasias, and probably the most common is Colocasia esculenta. I've grown that one in a 15 gallon pot in shade where it only gets a little dappled sun. Starting with a bulb or corm about the size of a pineapple, mine produced a plant six feet tall with leaves that were up to 3 feet long on four foot stalks. The roots filled the container and crawled out the drainage holes. Very cool.

I think they can handle full sun, but prefer some shade. They need a lot of water and fertilizer. The plant wilts dramatically when it's thirsty. I had to water every other day when temperatures were high. Your pot would be a good home for them if it has good drainage. I've seen them outside public buildings in containers like yours and they look quite dramatic.

You do have to remove them from the soil when temperatures stay below 45 for extended periods. They are definitely tropical plants that will go dormant and lose their leaves in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here