Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using NAPA Floor Dry in the gritty mix.

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:23

In previous posts, Al and Josh explained that the role of the grit component is to balance out the water-retentive property of Turface: more grit & less Turface if one wants the mix to hold less water, and vice versa if more water retention is desired.

I've read that NAPA Floor Dry is an acceptable substitute for grit. the NAPA stuff absorbs liquid (that's its characteristic). So if Turface and NAPA Floor Dry BOTH retain moisture, wouldn't that render the gritty mix super saturated?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using NAPA Floor Dry in the gritty mix.

I think whoever said that the floor dry was a substitute for grit was mistaken or misspoke. I've used Turface and NAPA floor dry and found the floor dry seems to hold a little more water. Substitutes for grit might be pumice, pea gravel or perlite. The most important feature is that the particle size is right.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 16:57

The NAPA floor dry is a substitute for the Turface.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 7:49

Just to confirm what's already been said - the NAPA floor dry holds even more water than Turface, so they are roughly interchangeable.

Al

o

Where did yoou read this ?

o

and here's another alternative or substitute for napa floor dry, and maybe even cheaper:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oil-Dri-Premium-Absorbent-25lbs/16930215

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here