Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
confused ? bark,pine bark

Posted by boston3381 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 13:23

i a little confused abought these mixes i keep reading abought?

just abought all the mixes have some type of bark in them. i thought any type of bark or mulch whould give you to much acidic in the soil??

are you off setting it with lime or something else??
are you useing aged pine bark?
are you getting this bark from home depot or lowes?

i have alot of perennials that are going into 1 gal. pots and thinking of adding bark to the mix instead of straight soil mix...

thank you for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: confused ? bark,pine bark

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 16:27

B - May I suggest you read through a post about container soils? It will explain why a highly aerated soil based on pine bark is easier to grow in and offers superior opportunity for plants to grow as near their genetic potential as possible, within the limiting effects of other cultural factors.

Bark is generally less acidic than peat, and both bark & peat-based soils are commonly amended with dolomitic (garden) lime to both adjust pH and as a Ca/Mg source.

If you have any additional questions, you can ask there or here. Someone familiar with using bark-based soils will help you.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here