Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pro-MIx HP?

Posted by thebutcher 6b (Philadelphia are (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 13:26

Hey all,

I am growing some of my Tomato plants in 15-20 Gallon Containers. I been searching around for Pro-Mix BX but it seems kind of pricey for shipping online. I also found Pro Mix HP at (One of the large garden centers) Pro Mix HP w/ Mycorrhizae in 2 cubic foot bags. My zip code is 18966, I have called a few garden centers that used to have it but don't any more.

It sells for about $16 for 2 Cubic feet. I am looking to get about 12 cubic feet and the cost of this is in my price range, but would like it cheaper or something simlar cheaper if possible.

Here are my other questions.

1.) Would this mix good for tomatoes or is there another recomended for the price (vareties are Ramapo, Black Krim & 4th of july) For peppers (Large cherry red, Long red cayenne, Hungarian Hot wax Yellow & Beaver Dam.)?

2.) Also for container size for tomatoes would 15 gallon be good enough or should I push for 20 gallon? I will go with the bags and any suggestions for the budget? (I am not really concerned about keeping them for next year but it could be a bonsu.

3.) For the peppers, would 5 Gallon be good enough or should I go for 7 Gallon or could I even get away with 3 Gallon?

Many Thanks in advanced,

- Mr Beno

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pro-MIx HP?

All I can say is

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg1221344425812.html?126

o

I used to grow tomatoes and peppers in Promix with about 20 percent compost, and it worked, but I had problems when the plants were small and we had heavy rains. It can get soggy because Promix is 85% peat. Now I use the 5-1-1 mix in the thread edweather gave you. It costs less than $4 a cubic foot and never gets soggy.

The larger pot sizes you mention sound good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention

This post was edited by Ohiofem on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 0:23

o

Thanks both of you, I think I will venture to the 5-1-1 mix, I need to save some money now since I bought 20 Gal Hydrofarm Dirt bags. I was gona go with cheaper bags but figured what the heck. They were about $10 a piece w free shipping.

I ordered 9 of them and giving 5 to my brother because he can only plant containers in his community and for me, I am having a Pine Tree problem (to bad I can't chop it up and use it as pine fines now) The tree is blocking half my garden from light half the day, But it should be fine once the sun moves more overtop in the summer. I figure I can move the bags around for best light until then.

Thanks again for the advice, Now I just got to find the right Pine Bark Fines. Does anyone know if one of the large garden stores carry them? I am just afraid I will get the wrong kind

- Mr Beno

o

Most of the time the bags will say Pine Bark Mulch, and less often Soil Conditioner. Stay away from anything that says "nuggets." I would start with the big box stores, garden centers/nurseries, mulch suppliers. Walmart has a Timberline product that I would avoid unless desperate. You shouldn't have any trouble in the Philly area. Don't expect to strike gold immediately. Just keep searching and eventually you will find it. Got any Agways near you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here