Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meawea

Midget melons and trellis/cage

meawea
9 years ago

I'm a gardening newbie so please bear with me!! I've been very excited about the prospect of growing the Minnesota midget melon this summer, among other things -if it ever warms up and stops raining.
I have an 8.5 gallon pot (big enough?) waiting patiently to be filled and a spot where it will get at least 6 hours of sun a day. The only problem is that I live on the bottom floor of my apartment building and my patio/balcony space is more like a dank concrete lined hole in the ground. The apartment management already gave me the go ahead to do a container garden in front. I know that my best chance of success is to trellis this melon and to have support slings ready as they mature.

So my questions: What are my inexpensive choices for a trellis that won't encroach on my neighbor's balcony space- not higher than five feet tall? Would a tomato cage suffice? Do I put the cage/trellis in the pot or do I have to figure out how to anchor it (and hide it from management)? I've heard conflicting reports about the cage/trellising of container grown melons.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (2)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

IMO, yes a tomato cage would work well. The melons are small and should be fine. Like you say the issue is how to anchor the cage.

• bcskye
    9 years ago

How about using cheap tent stakes and twine?