Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to grow, weird light situation

Posted by Mari_88 7a, NC mountains (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 13:27

Hey all! I have a problem..I cant decide what plants will work on this one side of my house. The place in question seems to be shadowed by the house until around 4 pm then it gets hit with full sun until the sun sets, 730ish right now. This area gets no sunlight in the winter or early spring I noticed. I think as the season progresses the sun will light this area a little sooner, but i just dont know what plants to use because i am not sure if the little bit of late afternoon light is enough to qualify for part sun. Flowers, herbs, veggies, bushes...i dont care i just need to landacape this area. I would prefer plants that dont have big water requirements and grow faster than slower.

A side note, this season i will be using tire planters as i just had to convert this area from lawn and I do not want to dig through the mulch and cardboard just yet. Eventually i would like to plant everything in the ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to grow, weird light situation

I'm mostly a vegetable grower, and if you want veggies think leafy vegetables such as lettuce, kale, spinach, bok choy etc. Your zone may be too warm to plant at this time though for those as they prefer cooler weather. Best early spring or late fall for you I would think. There are heat tolerant greens such as swiss chard that would probably work for you this late.

o
RE: What to grow, weird light situation

Thanks for the input cap! It is getting too late for the leafy greens but i could always try in the fall. I am just having a really hard time figuring out what kind of shade this area is in. I have done some more research and i think it could qualify as bright shade, with some direct sun in the afternoon. Do you think hostas, lily of the valley and some kind of phlox would work here? I like the idea of doing greens in the containers and hardy perenials in the ground eventually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here