Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankga

Gritty Mix in Atlanta Area

frankga
10 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and have finally decided to assembly infamous Gritty Mix to use for my indoor plants. I've read hundreds of posts and spent several hours over the past few days trying to find another post with source information for the Atlanta/northern Georgia area but have come up empty handed. I read through the "Supplies by State/Region" post here but found nothing for this part of Georgia.

I believe I've located a source for Turface MVP (Ewing Irrigation) and am going to try some nursery/landscaping supply shops this evening to try and find pine or fir bark fines. However, I've yet to find a local source for Gran-I-Grit or Cherrystone #2. I called and emailed the manufacturer (NC Granite in Mt. Airy, NC) but have yet to get a call back. I suspect they are not interested in dealing with a buyer looking for anything less than pallets.

If there are any fellow Atlanta area gardeners out there that have found nearby sources to assemble gritty mix I'd greatly appreciate a pointer or two. Thanks!

-Frank

Comments (9)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

It's also called poultry grit. Most feed/farm supply stores sell it. I found it at a TSC-Tractor Supply Company store. There has to be places in your area. Just be patient and keep looking, you'll find it.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi !!

Be careful when searching for grit.. make sure it is all crushed granite. They sell some poultry grit with crushed oyster shells and this isn't good for the mix. Gran-i-grit is a good brand and so is Manna Pro. Have you searched for any Southern States Stores near you?

I have TSC here locally as well, like Ed mentioned and they have a nice supply. Check for them and also for Southern States. Then your search starts for other feed and seed stores..

Let us know how it turns out!!

Good luck!!

Laura

• shootemliz
    10 years ago

Hi,

Marietta Feed and Seed sells gran-i-grit.

• frankga
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I ended finding some crushed granite "sand" at S&S Stone near Norcross, GA, but unfortunately, 90% of it was very fine particles that were unusable. I'll have to check out Marietta Feed&Seed, TSC, or Southern States for the next batch as it was hours of work for very little grit.

I ended up driving past a NAPA auto store while looking for bark so I picked up some of the calcined diatomaceous earth used for cleaning up oil spills. I'll use this in place of Turface for my first batch to see how it turns out.

I found that the Lowes near Duluth had both soil conditioner (slightly composted pine bark fines) that could be used for the 5-1-1 mix. They also have an Evergreen pine bark mix that is uncomposted and will likely work great for the gritty mix. I've already screened about half the bag, and am pleased with the particle sizes.

• lrvjim
    10 years ago

Brownlee's Feed and Seed in Lawrenceville has Gran-I-Grit. Check out Acadian Wholesale Supply in Suwanee for the bark. Orchiata orchid bark, prescreened. You will want the smallest size, 3-6mm. Remember, you don't want pine bark 'fines' for the gritty mix.

• shootemliz
    10 years ago

Has anyone had any luck finding pine bark fines for the gritty mix in the Smyrna, GA area.

Thanks

• liligoat
    10 years ago

Shootemliz - I'm way late to the party but maybe this will help someone. Though I haven't even been there yet.. Just found the websites of a couple promising places: "Nature's Supply Center" in Mableton and "Contract Services Company" in Hiram, GA. The second is closed today but they list pine fines and gravel granite #89. I'll go by there tomorrow and can tell you for sure then. Nature's Supply Center sells the same granite and "pine bark nuggets" in mini size.There's also Tractor Supply Company for poultry grit. Went to Napa for the Turface substitute. Good luck! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Contract Services Company

This post was edited by liligoat on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:47

• liligoat
    10 years ago

Went to Contract Services Company and they don't carry pine bark fines anymore. Rats. They sell bulk mulches and gravels though. Still have to visit Nature's Supply Center. Tractor Supply Company's poultry grit was kinda pricey in my opinion. I think it was $8-9 for for 25 lbs, which didn't look like very much. Most of the other places recommended so far are on the other side of Atlanta for me, too, and ya know how traffic is!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You should be able to find pine nuggets (small and large) both at HD and Lowes.
    GA is a PINE COUNTRY. I used to live there and bought pine barks every year for mulching flower beds. After pine straw pine barks is one of the popular mulch down there. Maybe not right now. Because landscaping time is over.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler