Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings to big for my solo cups?

Posted by suburbangardenMD 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 13:38

So, I posted this under the Growing From Seed Forum, but I figured I would post here as well seeing as how some of these guys may will end up in containers outside eventually ( some will end up in raised beds ).

The link below is a photo of a few of my largest tomato and eggplant seedlings. They are in solo cups at the moment and are growing fast. I have started seeds in the window for the last few years, this year was the first I used grow lights, what a difference, the growth is way ahead of where it was last year.

So, what do all you more experienced folk think, ho wlong can my guys make it in these cups? Should I plant up to a larger container or attempt to harden off and stick them out into the world full time? I was considering hardening some off and planting in their final containers or in my raised beds next week. The weather has been warm, and while there is always a chance for a late April cold front, its looking toasty here in The Old Line State ( Maryland ). Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedlings In Cups

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings to big for my solo cups?

I would transplant the ones that are intended for containers right away. For the ones intended for the ground, start hardening them to transplant to soil. I would not do the interim step of planting to a larger container during hardening if you can avoid it. I would start hardening on your last frost date, which should be soon for you in zone 7.

o
RE: Seedlings to big for my solo cups?

I think I am going to start the hardening off process and get things that are outgrowing the cups planted outside. The containers are going on a self watering gutter system minnesotakid posted on here and on youtube so once they are out there wont be anyway to bring them back in. A week from now we should be safe...a few chilly nights maybe but safe...I hope!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here