Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with Gritty Mix

Posted by kcwinz CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 13:43

Hi - I've been reading all the info on Gritty Mix and was planning to make it and plant this weekend. I am in the SF East Bay (Livermore) where it gets very hot in the summer. I am planning succulents in containers and they will be in the sun.

I bought Turface MVP and small bags of Reptibark. I could not find the Manno Pro or Cherrystone anywhere. The local feed store had chicken grit but it had oyster shells and a few other things added.

My husband had some leftover crushed granite that was 1/4 inch but it seemed to have a lot of smaller too. I screened it to get rid of the power and then screened on 1/4 hardware cloth to get rid of the larger pieces.

I think it is still too big? Could someone take a look and let me know what you think?

Any advice is helpful as I am a total newbie to this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with Gritty Mix

The bark is far too large to make a proper Gritty Mix.
The other ingredients should work well if the bark is screened 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

Josh

o

Thanks. Shoot! I bought two small bags of Reptibark mainly for the convenience of using it out of the bag. I did start to run it over 1/4 hardware cloth but found that not much at all was falling through.

Has Reptibark changed to where it no longer is the small size right for the mix? They had larger bags on sale but I bought the small ones to make sure it was small.

o

As far as I know, Reptibark can't be used straight from the bag, unless you're using it for 5-1-1 mix.

Josh

o

Thanks. Would the 5-1-1 be as good for succulents in a container in hot weather? I"m up for trying that instead.
Thanks for your help!

o

Unfortunately, it will not work as well for the majority of succulents. It is very good for things such as Holiday Cacti, arboreal cacti, Hoyas, and similar.

Josh

o

I spent a long time last night screening the bark through a 1/4 hardware cloth and I think it is better. But, the majority of the Reptibark was waste (aka too big).

I"ve attached a new pic to show what it looks like now. I also found some chicken grit that I think is a closer match than the 1/4 granite.

What is frustrating is the cost. I bought two small bags of Reptibark and most of it (80%) wouldn't screen through.

Any advice? I bought a bag of orchid bark but it is about the same size/waste. I can't find anything locally that works better. (I'm in San Fran East Bay - Livermore).

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 19:36

I don't live up there, so I can't help you too much. However, there are a lot of orchid growers in SF. There has to be a place to get seedling orchid bark. I would contact one of the local orchid societies or maybe put a post in the orchid forum asking where to buy seedling orchid bark in that area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here