Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best All Around Wicking Mix For SWC

Posted by suburbangardenMD 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 13:49

I all set to get a mixin', but had a thought and wanted some opinions. We humans tend to overthink things, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, with so many mix recipes and variations tailored to climate, plant, etc., is there an all around base mix that anyone would recommend as a starting point?

Raybo has the 3:2:1 ( 3:3:2 I believe for peppers ), there is the 2 parts peat moss, 1 part compost, drizzling of lime and epsom from Larry Hall ( AKA the Minnesotakid ! ), and a few others I have run across on here and elsewhere.

I am going with the 3:2:1 as my base, but cant resist adding a little VC since I have three bins going. last year I used straight MG potting mix, no moisture control and it seemed to work ok...plants lived but as new to SWC guy...and a guy who tends to skip the directions and believe the marketing on the MG bag I didn't add fertilizer, just a foliar spray with a compost tea mix, the plants sputtered along.

Any thoughts on what would be the simplest base mix to recommend to friends, family, and neighbors thinking of using a SWC?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best All Around Wicking Mix For SWC

Buy ready made SWC mix from Garden Supply. Or 50:50 peat and perlite.

Then make adjustments based on climate, container depth, and plants.

o

vegetable container garden
gutter system
larry hall
40 , 4 gallon buckets
mix
3 pine bark
3 peat moss
2 pearlite
6 cups lime
2 cups epsom salt
2 cups osmocote
from all the input ive read here this is my mix,
any comments would be helpful.
thanks in advance

o

3-2-1, peat, pine bark, perlite worked for me 2 years in a row for a 5 gal bucket SWC. I think I added 2 cups of lime and 1 cup of fertilizer on top per the global buckets video on youtube.

o

Sphagnum Peat Moss is the magic that makes SWC work, I have grown in it straight before but tomatoes are so vigorous they would probably grow in anything. I had so much trouble finding a potting mix locally that had the 70% peat as suggested by EarthBox that I ended up adding half Peat to purchased potting mix. Recently, my local Home Depot began stocking Promix HP which works great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here