Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Water quality question

maple_grove_gw
12 years ago

Hello all,

I'd like to ask you all a question about water quality. By way of background, I want to try out some of the ideas discussed here for fertilizing (the "weekly weakly" method) and as a first step I got a TDS meter so I can keep track of what I am doing. Taking a look at the measurements for my tap water raised some questions in my mind.

My well water goes through a water softener. I have no choice about that and no real option to remove it without buying a whole house RO system. My untreated well water has some low level of iron such that w/o the softener, the water turns things red (toilets, anything that gets hit by the sprinkler...). I don't have the result in front of me, but from what I can recall, the water test showed high single digits ppm for iron, calcium, etc. I have been using this softened water for container plants/lawn, etc. for years and I've not noticed any problems (FWIW).

So I got the TDS reader last week and my readout is ~130-140 ppm, not too bad, right? Now for the questions. Since the water passes through the softener, does all 130 ppm necessarily consist of Na and Cl? With respect to Na and Cl, how much is too much (I know that none would be best, but when should I start to get worried?) As I said, I plan to use the "weekly weakly" fertilizer program, and preliminary testing shows that the total TDS will be ~300-500 ppm. But I'm curious about whether my sodium and/or chloride is (excessively) problematic. Again, this is mainly for curiousity since I'm not in a position to be able to do anything about it right now.

Alex

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!