Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ammonium Sulfate for citrus?

Posted by brownmola San Diego (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 13:59

So I have a few newly planted 5-1-1 container citrus. I am using Dynamite Citrus CRF and am using a Foliage Pro with very watering. Does anyone use Ammonium Sulfate with their container citrus?

I used Ammonium Sulfate for the first time ever for my in ground citrus about a month ago and am seeing a lot of new growth on citrus that had been losing a lot of leaves.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ammonium Sulfate for citrus?

brownmola, ammonium sulfate contains 21% nitrogen - all totally water soluble.
I cannot envisage it as the only fertilizer for citrus - except as a 'starter' for young plants - and then only in very dilute concentrations.
Here is a description of the product.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 11:40

You can absolutely use ammonium sulphate on your container citrus. It is an easy way to give a nitrogen dose to a plant. Just dissolve it in water and fertigate. Calculate out your desired ppm and add enough to warm water to hit that target.

o

You can use it if you think your plant needs more "N".
I use it sometimes on my onions, garlics and other leafy veggies.
I think it also tends to acidify the soil a bit (not too much) due to presence of Sulfur in it.

o

Thanks guys! The citrus I have in pots was pretty neglected when they were in the ground and I want to try and push some growth/greening on them and thought dissolved Ammonium Sulfate would help. 1 tsp or Tbs per gallon sound okay?

o

Hullo brown,

Sorry no one responded so far but if it's not too late: usually for Ammonium Sulphate 1/4 per 2.5 gal once per week is fine, it's very easy to overfertilize with it since it contains so much N by weight, so best to start out with such a dosage. Bear in mind that's for container plants, so in ground something slightly higher (maybe 1/2 tsp) with lots of watering should be okay. I'll link a forum with some pictures of blueberry growth using that dosage ;)

Regards,
Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: One and 7 yr blueberry growth with pictures

o

Thanks, I have actually transplanted the citrus into the ground and have been using Ammonium Sulfate in the soil in granule form. So far it has worked really well. Might try citrus in a container again later this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here