Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Testing pH of 5-1-1

Posted by JVjava 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 14:26

I have a pH meter that directs me to mix 2 cups of "soil' with 2 cups of distilled water and let sit for a few minutes before checking the pH. The directions specifically say to remove any organic matter including twigs. How does this work for bark mixes? It is a rapitest pH meter.

Thanks,

Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Testing pH of 5-1-1

Good question, Jon. I don't have an answer, but if your Rapitest meter is anything like mine, it will register 7.0 every time, on every soil. ;)

o

fortyonenorth,

I did spend a little more and got a digital pH meter, and followed the directions last year to the T, and think I got fairly accurate results when compared to the chemical tests as well. I was able to confirm that my berry plants did have a lower pH than my peppers and tomatoes. However, with all the horror stories, I do use the pH meter was well as the chemical test. Other than spending big $ on a pH meter, this is sufficient for my interest.
This year however I am using a bark based mixed, and am curious as to the best method for testing the pH, if for nothing else, just to get a general idea when the pH starts to climb, because I know our water here has a fairly high alkalinity which does cause the pH to rise over the growing season.

o

Jon,
I would simply soak some mix with distilled water, wait a few minutes, then pour out some
of the water and test it. That'll give you a reference point. The actual pH of the mix,
as you know, is less important than the pH of the fertigating solution.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here