Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

ok to use 1/4" or 1/2" screen for 5-1-1?

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I CANNOT find a 3/8" hardware cloth or sieve to screen my pine fines. I can find 1/2" and 1/4" as often as the day is long, however. If you had to choose between either a few pieces too big, or a smaller overall mix, which would be best?

Comments (10)

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

1/4" is better IMHO.

You have to order 3/8" online. Impossible to find in stores.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You can make aa 3/8" screen by offset overlapping of two sheets of 1/2", resulting in 3/8" and 1/4" grids. This might be cheaper than ordering 3/8" online.

• zeuspaul
    10 years ago

Some of the 16 inch square nursery flats/trays have 3/8 mesh on the bottom. You can usually get them for free at a nursery or garden store.

Zeuspaul

• zeuspaul
    10 years ago

Some of the 16 inch square nursery flats/trays have 3/8 mesh on the bottom. You can usually get them for free at a nursery or garden store.

Zeuspaul

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I'd definitely go with the 1/2". No worries. Up to 1/2" is totally acceptable for the 511 mix. And look at it this way, you'll have more mix.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Agreed, I started off using 1/4" and later moved to a 1/2" screen for bark in both mixes. A few pieces too big can easily be picked out by hand.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually found a 4' X 6' piece of 1/4" hardware cloth I had in the shed. I did screen some fines with it. The end result looks good but I worry it is too small. I might rescreen the big pieces with a 1/2" to see what I get. Although I'd say 80% of the pieces that didn't fit through the 1/4" are actually bigger than 1/2" as well, and definitely bigger than 3/8".

The downside is that I "lost" about 1/3 of the bag this way - there are a lot more bigger pieces (and chunks of sapwood) than I thought originally. However it blends well with the "mini nuggets" I mulched the outdoor landscaping with, so I might just use them there.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    3 years ago

I have this question too. It seems to me that the best recommendation I've seen here - iirc - would actually be to use the bark between the 1/4" and insect screen (which is easy to find).

I might be wrong though. Maybe that was just for the gritty only? Maybe the just-under-half inch - or, what goes through a 1/2" screen - is just fine for 5-1-1.

I see that some people here have had good results with the 1/2 inch screen - and that's good news - yet given that it is prime repot season in North Am now, I am hoping for more people to chime in. (I'd love for 1/2" screen to work.) I've read a bunch of the threads and somehow I don't seem to get a fix on this yet.

Sorry if it is rude to re-ask, or if I am hijacking. Like so much else, my internet etiquette is not always ideal.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you, Tropicofcancer! It is very helpful to have the reinforcement of your long experience ... oh and I will keep an eye out for a baking rack too! I wouldn't have thought of that. And now to buy a bunch of huge bags.

Boyhowdy the new sorting is a pain. I am glad Houzz keeps us around ... but what is up with them? (Or is it just me?)