Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ok to use 1/4" or 1/2" screen for 5-1-1?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 14:30

I CANNOT find a 3/8" hardware cloth or sieve to screen my pine fines. I can find 1/2" and 1/4" as often as the day is long, however. If you had to choose between either a few pieces too big, or a smaller overall mix, which would be best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ok to use 1/4" or 1/2" screen for 5-1-1?

1/4" is better IMHO.

You have to order 3/8" online. Impossible to find in stores.

o

You can make aa 3/8" screen by offset overlapping of two sheets of 1/2", resulting in 3/8" and 1/4" grids. This might be cheaper than ordering 3/8" online.

o

Some of the 16 inch square nursery flats/trays have 3/8 mesh on the bottom. You can usually get them for free at a nursery or garden store.

Zeuspaul

o

Some of the 16 inch square nursery flats/trays have 3/8 mesh on the bottom. You can usually get them for free at a nursery or garden store.

Zeuspaul

o

I'd definitely go with the 1/2". No worries. Up to 1/2" is totally acceptable for the 511 mix. And look at it this way, you'll have more mix.

o

Agreed, I started off using 1/4" and later moved to a 1/2" screen for bark in both mixes. A few pieces too big can easily be picked out by hand.

o

I actually found a 4' X 6' piece of 1/4" hardware cloth I had in the shed. I did screen some fines with it. The end result looks good but I worry it is too small. I might rescreen the big pieces with a 1/2" to see what I get. Although I'd say 80% of the pieces that didn't fit through the 1/4" are actually bigger than 1/2" as well, and definitely bigger than 3/8".

The downside is that I "lost" about 1/3 of the bag this way - there are a lot more bigger pieces (and chunks of sapwood) than I thought originally. However it blends well with the "mini nuggets" I mulched the outdoor landscaping with, so I might just use them there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here