Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huttnem

Acidifying soil in containers

huttnem
13 years ago

I just found out an old rose I planted in a container prefers a slightly acidic environment. I currently feed it with liquid fertilizer but it is not particularly acidic. Anyone know what organic sources I can use to acidify the soil?

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

If you are using a peat based potting mix, it will most likely be slightly acidic.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It's prolly not necessary, but how do you feel about vinegar? What liquid fertilizer are you using?

Al

• nhardy
    13 years ago

Blood meal & cottonseed meal are organic too, but will not break down to acidify the soil as fast as vinegar.

• haxuan
    13 years ago

vetivert: did you mean if I use the coal ash as "ferliziser" for the rose, it can help provide the acid needed for the plant and keep it from having black spots on the leaves?

Many thanks for your advice.

Xuan

• huttnem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Al, I use an organic fertilizer (Dr. Earth??) Anyway it had higher proportions of everything compared to other organic choices. If I go with vinegar what proportion to water would you suggest I use and how often? The container is pretty large - 24 inches across. nhardy, I do have cottonseed meal - didn't realize it was acidic. Is alfalfa too?

• badsmerf
    13 years ago

What is your soil? If its a peat based soil its probably acidic enough. Have you gotten the Ph tested? Is there a problem with your roses? Why would you want to mess with the Ph?

• huttnem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My rose was potted in Monrovia Custom (potting) soil last year. I'm sure it is balanced. The only reason I want to make it more acid is that this particular rose (Reine des Violettes) likes a more acid environment than the average rose. Many people experience foliage problems with this rose; some leaves even turn white. I haven't found this to be the case but it is not flourishing either. So I thought acidifying the soil might be good for it.

• nhardy
    13 years ago

Alfalfa meal is 3-2-2. Not as acidic as some. Cottonseed meal is 6-1-1, a slow release fertilizer & adds acidity to the soil. Ground from cottonseeds which is a natural fertilizer considered by many to be the second best source of nitrogen after blood meal. Blood meal is 12-0-0.

I hope Al comes back & can suggest the ratio of water to vinegar to feed your rose now & you can always use a slow release fertilizers too.

Maybe you have these other items too: bat gauno, coffee grounds, feather meal, crab meal, soybean meal, corn gluten, fish emulsion. I'm going to use straight vinegar to kill some of the tree seedlings that came up this spring. Vinegar is a cheap killer that I love using.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

One capful of white vinegar per gallon of water.

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Josh,
    The vinegar I buy in a large jug, is a flip top.. LOL!

so would what you are using be about a teaspoon? I think I read somewhere, to use a teaspoon.

JoJo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

That would be fine! ;)
    Slightly more or less vinegar won't hurt.

Josh

• mecs7705
    11 years ago

Thanks for the acidifying info. The small pots of ivy bought from WalMart or Lowe,s have been dying after a few weeks despite water and humidity. Measured pH and it was 7. It is known that ivy requires 6-6.5. Why do they use neutral medium. Hope the acidifying helps.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022