Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthtainer on the cool deck

Posted by tigerveg NE Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 14:48

The area that gets the most sun in my backyard has a slope. The only other area is the decking around the pool. I was thinking it may get too hot but then thought of wood pallets. Good or bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthtainer on the cool deck

I would not recommend setting an EarthTainer on an uneven surface such as a pallet. This can cause problems longer term with the structural integrity of the container bottom. Just set it on the lid cut-out as is recommended in the Guide and you should be fine.

If you can shade the sidewalls of the EarthTainer with a piece of bamboo curtain, or similar shade material, your outer shell will last much longer.

Raybo

o

you can use a pallet but you need too put aleast 3/4 inch piece of plywood on it. you dont want any distortion in the container over time like ray stated. also a large enough concrete paver that supports the whole thing. (and level)

o

Thanks so much Raybo and Terrybull. Several of my pallets were not level so I have decided to put them on the deck as Raybo suggested. My concern was for the heat that reflects off the pool deck.(someone on this gardenweb posted their tomatoes burned due to heat from the concrete they were sitting on) I will put the bamboo curtain up if I can find it and probably add a couple of rows of lower level companion plants in front of the tainers. I have them at the east edge of the pool deck (pool runs east-west).

Thanks,
Deb

Raybo, the plans were perfect. Thanks so much. My husband and I were able to complete six tainers in one day and we know very little about construction.

o

WOW!! Six built in one day is great. I'll give you a holler when I need some built!!

Raybo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here