Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soda bottle garden....please help

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 15:03

I stumbled across this idea on the internet.

I am wondering what can be planted in the soda bottles. They would basically be the normal sized pop bottles (not the ones sold in 6 packs)

I don't plan on planting anything that is going to get really big (like tomatoes, eggplants etc.) in them.

Below is a list of what I have in mind; I don't know if the stuff can be planted in them, that's why I'm asking.

Radicchio
Sorrel
Arugula
Pak Choi (small/baby variety, Mei Quing choi)
Lettuce (mini heads)

Chinese cabbage (baby/mini varieties; can be planted 8"-12" apart when thinned; one variety I have is only 10-18 oz. at maturity)

Peas-n-a-pot (only 10" tall at maturity; requires no staking)

spinach
endive (variety used will be eros)
escarole (keystone is variety I'll be using)
kale (dwarf siberian)
broccoli raab
water cress
chard
celery

herbs (dill, cilantro, chives, catnip, basil, oregano; basil is a bush type)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soda bottle garden....please help

How about carrots?

Will you be using 2 litre bottles, or some other size? If you're using gritty mix, the bottom of a half-gallon bottle will be as aerated as the bottom of a half-gallon pot, so no worries about useable container volume. I don't know if plants with strongly horizontal root systems will grow just as strongly vertically if they don't have any other option, but if they do then you can grow in a half-gallon bottle the same way as in a half-gallon pot.

I use pop bottles for Haworthias mostly, and I've just put a couple of Lophs into a large bottle. The Haworthias would do fine in a regular pot large enough to be deep enough for their roots, but I don't have enough mix for that. The Lophs would probably explode with that much air and water available to the roots.

o
RE: soda bottle garden....please help

I'm also interested in this idea ... can someone respond on their experiences/predictions on planting salad greens in 2L soda bottles? Of course, they can be cut down. I am interested in my students starting up salad greens to take home for the summer. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here