Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I harvest my radishes?

Posted by jemsister Western WA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 15:05

They have been in ground for 33 days. They look like they are rounding out (some more than others), but the leaves aren't very big. So are they not ready yet? In the grocery store, the greens are rather large. Am I doing it wrong, or is it okay to pull them when the greens are small? Let me show you a pic of how they look right now. Not all of them have bulbed this big. I'd say they are about 1/2 inch across. I just sorta scraped away some of the soil to show, so only about 1/2 of it is showing. I think the variety is called sparkler? Thanks for the help. FWIW, we have had a lot of rain or gray days, very little sun, so could that be why the greens are so small? I will post pics of the bulb and the greens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I harvest my radishes?

Here are the greens (the rows are alternated lettuce and radish).

o

I'd be tempted to eat that one! I like the fact that your leaves aren't very big. The radishes might get really big. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about radishes.....you can eat them anytime.

o

Usually the top of the radish will emerge from the soil when ready, but yeah you can eat them anytime. Some take longer than stated. Up to 60 days, but the regular radishes if left too long become hard, so I would try one, but if small give them another 7-10 days. Soon! You may find uneven ripening, some ready, others need more time. You will learn a lot from this crop and get a better feel next time.

o

Thanks, guys! I did go ahead and pull some. They were small, but tasted great! Last time I tried to grow radishes, the roots didn't do anything. Later I found out that you need to thin them early. So I feel moderately successful this time. I'm curious to see what the next ones do. I planted another crop that is a couple of weeks old, and I just planted a third crop (I think it will stay cool enough). Hope all goes well! =P I'm growing lots of new things this year--spinach, lettuce, chard, broccoli, kale... I had none of that the last two years. I grew spinach in a pot once, and someone gave me a potted lettuce once, but that's it. This is my third garden (very small garden, more like a hobby sampler, LOL!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here