Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with trees in containers.

Posted by iwstlj2415 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 15:07

Last fall I decided to grow some trees from seed in containers so I planted Acorns, Horse Chestnuts, and some maple seeds in pots. Many of them are sprouting now. However, being a newbie, I planted them in pure topsoil. Now that I have realized my mistake does anyone have any recommendations on what to plant them in? I have read about Al's gritty mix, and 5:1:1 mix and I would really like to try them, but at this point in time I don't have the money or ability to track down all those ingredients. I hope to use them in the future, but for now I just need a planting medium that is better then topsoil.

Also, I have a potted tree that I got in the summer that has sent out about 30 leaves since March 18th. However, the leaves are rippled/curled along the edges. They're also solid green and very soft. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it? I've been watering it about every other day. I don't have a clue what kind of tree it is. I will try to post a picture later if someone can tell me how.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

iwstlj2415

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with trees in containers.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 16:08

You're almost certainly over-watering if you're watering every other day in topsoil. You really should get the plants into something else. The 5:1:1 mix is cheaper to make than buying bagged soil, but if you end up with bagged soil, can you partially bury your container? That will change the way water behaves and let you get by a little better if you're using a heavy soil.

Unsure about what's wrong with your tree, but the lack of aeration could be causing one or more of nutritional deficiencies, the symptoms of which could be leaf deformities, including cupping, rolling, and wavy leaf margins.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here