Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Basil in Planters

Posted by bullylady 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 15:19

I'm getting desperate for fresh basil that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it's too early to put my basil in the ground here as we are still getting freezes, but I was thinking of planting it in planters that I could them bring in at night. It is getting up to 55 and 60 degrees and we're getting good sunshine during the day.

I have to planters that are both three feet long, a foot and a half deep and a foot wide. I've previously put flowers in these but was thinking of putting my basil seeds in instead so I can start them now. If I do this, how many plants will be able to live in each planter would you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Basil in Planters

12. i would have two seeds in six hills thinking to get two plants in each hill. basil seems to grow better when paired with another plant. when fully mature the plants will be very close together. i wouldnt worry about the closiness, keep them pinched and enjoy the flavor. by the time the plants get three inches tall they should be ready for full sun and by that time the weather should be hot enough you can leave them outside. keep an eye on their watering. if well drained soil you probably cant overwater, keep an eye out for underwatering. the plant will tell you when they are needing water. hope this helps.

o

If it were me, I'd only put 3 or 4. And a few other smaller herbs or lettuce with it.
Basil can get big.
JoJo

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 22:48

I like basil too - enjoy it in many ways, but 1 plant gives me way more than I could ever use. I'd make sure the mix you use drains very well & plant a few other herbs, as well.Remember to keep it pinched. ;o)

Al

o

I love Basil too and need LOTS of it! Does this grow well in the 5-1-1 mix?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 21:47

Yes - it loves a fast draining soil - doesn't like wet feet, so the 5:1:"1 is a good choice, and the gritty mix better still.

AL

o

I grew it last season in with my tomato's in the 5-1-1 and it did better than my basil in the garden beds. I threw a few seeds in this year with the tomato and noticed today they already sprouted!

This season I put lavender, thyme, sage, and chives in the gritty mix and they are doing great!

I have to agree with Al... Both mixes are perfect for herbs! Any plants for that matter. lol..

JoJo

o

bullylady, the container to which you refer sounds very much like an "Earthbox" or similar. I planted an "Earthbox" with three herbs - one each of basil, oregano and lemon balm. They completely covered the surface in a very short time and supplied our household with more than we could use. When I "post mortemed" the box after the season, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the amount of root growth that had taken place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here