Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squash in containers

Posted by weirdflowers 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 15:22

I've got a couple of zucchini started that I'm planning on putting in those giant buckets, 16-gallons or something like that. I would like to do an acorn squash as well. In the interest of saving some money and reserving my perlite for my more exotic and expensive plants, I'd like to know if I can get away with using just plain pine bark sifted to ~0.75 in, with some dolomite mixed in. Are squashes thirsty enough for this not to be a problem, or would I need to add a wick to each bucket?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squash in containers

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 20:57

A soil of only bark in .75" is going to be very difficult to keep moist .............. too big.

Al

o

My mistake, I should have written 0.25".

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 13:29

If everything is .25 or larger, you definitely won't need a wick. You can include particles down to .90 or so w/o having to worry (at all) about PW.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here