Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun/shade flower box dilemma

Posted by sugeysgranny 5Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 15:24

I have two window boxes on the west side of the house. One is not shaded in the afternoon. The other gets shade from a nearby ash tree. I would like the flowers to match. Last year the flowers in the sunny box looked great. The other box was not great. My house is a pale blue Dutch colonial. What should I plant this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun/shade flower box dilemma

My opinion is that it will be tough to make two identical planters look the same with a significant difference in light. As you discovered last year, you will have one grow well and one less well, and which is better depends on what you planted. You can easily keep it similar (like red petunias in one vs. red impatiens in another) or if it were me, I'd mix up one or two same plants with different accent/thriller plants as the central focus.

For example, Bacopa grows nicely in either situation (still wont be identical though). With white blooms that cascade over, the idea would be to present the same color SCHEME (taller purples; shorter yellows, or what have you) vs. the exact same layout/plant. The eye would catch a flurry of your choice of colors on this side and the other -- without zooming into a noticeable size and quality difference of two identical plants where one is visibly thriving over to other.

Just my thoughts!

o

Thank you for the ideas. I used petunias, lobelia, bacopa, and white impatiens last year. Maybe if I try the same color impatiens and petunias, that will work better. The one plant that did well in both boxes was a spiky plant I added for height. Maybe I can add more green foliage plants and go for a general similarity of colors this year.

o

For foliage, I think both golden creeping jenny and heuchera would do well in both locations. There seem to be more varieties of heuchera every year. Some are more tolerant of heat and humidity than others. I've had great results with Caramel in full sun and part shade, though mine are in an east facing location. Limelight tended to scorch in full sun for me. All of the red and purple varieties I have seem to do well in sun, but I haven't tried them in a west facing location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here