Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musty odor in house -- houseplant container soil???

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 15:26

I'm primarily an outdoor gardener but have slowly accumulated a collection of about a dozen houseplants during the past few years. They are placed in different parts of the house and all are potted in standard bagged container soil (I know, I know... from days before I knew any better!).

Every time we enter the house --- especially after it is closed up for the day --- I detect a strong musty odor. I am strongly suspecting the odor is from the container soil, especially now that spring is here and I'm watering more often.

I don't need or want this many plants in the house and would like to keep just a few for easier maintenance. Would the 5-1-1 or gritty mixes resolve this issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musty odor in house -- houseplant container soil???

Most likely yes. Wet peat based soil can easily go anaerobic causing musty, rotten egg smell. I've even seen this in a bag that has been sitting for awhile.

I've not seen this problem with 5-1-1. It's got too much aeration to get anaerobic. Reducing your watering should help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here