Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost / mulching

Posted by Lynxo southern CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 15:29

Hi,

I'm new this forum. I have been reading the posts here and everyone is friendly and helpful.

I'm trying some container plants, blueberries, citrus tree's.

lately, I have been having gnat and fly problems. I read this is due to soil being too moist. we have had some
rainy weather and lot of overcast days.

the plants are position in an apartment patio on the west
side. we have not gone into the CA summer yet so sun
is full throughout the day.

My question is regarding compost/mulching. how much to use
and only if that should be done in the spring/summer.

every article I read says to compost or mulch after
the tree/bush is planted. I also added a layer of wood shavings that was used a packaging material for the blueberries. the seller says it is not chemical treated
and it the type used for chicken coup.

I plan to remove few inchs of the top layer to hopefully
get rid of the gnat's.

thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost / mulching

btw, I'm using E.B. stone Edna potting soil. I add 10-20% perlite to it. I also bought the E.B. compost which I have been using and a bag of the E.B. top seed cover and mulch. I won't use anymore compost or mulch until I can get more info/help.

I'm trying those smart pots so will be switching the plants/trees over soon.

o

Howdy, and welcome southern neighbor! ;-)

Fungus gnats feed off of decomposing material - organics, such as peat moss, compost, et cetera.

I use quite a few E.B. Stone products to make my mixes - Perlite, Pumice, Decorative Rock, and Bark.
Specifically, I use the fine-grade Orchid Bark, as well as the Greenall Micro Bark.

I'm not quite sure how you're using the compost/mulch?

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

thanks for the welcome :-)

I just put about 1" of the compost on top. I did use the wood shavings too. Today, I scooped about 1-2" of
the top soil(compost and wood shavings), threw it away.

some of the pots had gnats all over it. I'm probably
over watering since it's still very moist at the top.

that's why I'm wondering if I should only use compost or mulch when I get more sun and little rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here