Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snapks

Gritty mix watering questions

snapks
10 years ago

I am slowly repotting my houseplants into gritty mix and trying to figure out when to water is challenging.

So far, I have repotted a...

1) ZZ Plant into a clay pot. It was repotted about a week ago. The color looks okay, but it is rather droopy.

2) Sansevieria in a plastic pot

3) Jade in clay pot(s) - actually started as one Jade plant, but when I went to repot, I found the pot actually held about 9 jade plants. So when repotting, I separated them into 4 different pots, some containing just one jade, while others have multiples. All of them had nearly non-existent roots when I took them out of the nursery pot, so I am hoping that they eventually thrive in the gritty mix. Right now they look okay. They were pretty floppy at first but seem to be firming up.

So - if you are familiar with these plants and caring for them in the gritty mix, can you tell me how often you water? Also, given that the jades hardly have roots, do I need to water them differently? It doesn't seem to make sense to wait until the bottom of the pot is dry, since the roots are in the top 1/4th of the mix.

Also, I have Foliage Pro but have not fertilized any of them yet. How long do I wait after each repot before fertilizing?

Thanks for any help you can offer. My next repot will be my Calamondin tree, which I am probably the most invested in keeping well. :)

Comments (2)