Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cloth Strips As Wicks

Posted by suburbangardenMD 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:53

I found a thread on here that referenced an experiment someone was conducting with "sleeve" material for drainage pipe as a wick. I also ran across a few posters using mop strings and one or two linking a design of a simple swc using cloth strips tied in a knot, with the knot in the container and the loose end down in the reservoir. has anyone tried this method? If so, any success? I believe I read that a poster had used 4 mop head strings for some cukes and thought 6-8 may be better.

I am having trouble matching up my drain cup size to the gutter reservoir I will be using. I also would like to cut down anything else I need to buy!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cloth Strips As Wicks

Has anyone tried this method ? Well I guess so ,if you read about people's experience with them .Cloth does Not last long

I also would like to cut down anything else I need to buy!
Not sure what this means ?

o
RE: Cloth Strips As Wicks

After I posted that I figured I would get a snarky response or two...I guess thats my first.

Yes I did read about cloth/cotton as a wick, but as you probably know, there is relatively little information regarding wicking methods and results when using alternatives to existing methods. Most of what I found is descriptions of how someone set up their system or what they were testing. There are plenty of posts and sites discussing methods but relative to traditional gardening or even container gardening there is no authoritative figure or standard.

And yes, the more I read, the more I realized a cotton wick may not be the best choice. Like I said, I knew after I posted I left myself open for a critical reply post.

As for "cut down anything else" comment, I was typing from a tablet. I left out a few words there somehow. I was looking to cut cost.

I picked up a drain sleeve for drainage pipe and some nylon rope for experimentation.

Thanks for your helpful response Mr. Dickie....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here