Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting mix set up?

Posted by Frank3857 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 16:04

Hi everyone, Im 17 and I'm new here and this is my second post :) I am starting an indoor herb container garden. So I am getting a 8 inch tapered pot with an 8in tray. I was wondering if I was just supposed to open up the drainage holes and put some of the potting mix in the pot and then put in the seeds and then plop it in the tray? Or if I'm supposed to put rocks in the bottom of the pot or something? I have no idea what I'm doing so any help at all would be great. Please don't flame me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting mix set up?

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:35

You came to the right place for help.

Lets start with the rocks in the bottom bit. It does nothing but take up space. Forget you ever heard someone suggest it.

You can just put some potting soil in a pot and sprinkle seeds on top and then cover with a little more potting soil. Just use a good potting soil, not miracle groe. Thst is how most of us started out. You just have to be careful not to over wster.

You might want to read the container media thread. It has a lot of valuable information about how potting soil (it gets called container medium here a lot. We're fancy like that lol) actually functions in pots.

o
RE: Potting mix set up?

Different herbs need to be started at different times and under different conditions. Some are best bought as small plants that can be transplanted to your 8-inch pots, like oregano, rosemary, sage, and tarragon. Others can be started as seeds in small nursery pots under lights or in a sunny window and then potted up and taken outdoors after your last frost, like basil and marjoram. Some, like parsley and dill, grow long tap roots right away and don't like their roots disturbed, so they need to be started as seeds in deep containers. Most herbs do best grown outdoors in the summer in full sun. I suggest you do some research by googling the plants you want to grow to figure out the conditions they prefer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here