Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have creative potriser/feet ideas?

Posted by dragonfly717 z10 Fort Myers (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 16:23

Really am trying not to spend any more money right now. Thinking about attaching large flat glass "marbles" or ??something? Wanting to remain level for some will be on pool deck pavers, but other are sitting on the ground. Need to get those up ASAP.

Thanks!

Jamie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have creative potriser/feet ideas?

• Posted by vgtar z7 copenhagen (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 16:57

Caps from soft drinks/ bottled water.

o

Thanks! Great idea vgtar :)

o

It's not necessarily free (unless you can "borrow" a few from a small child), but I used alphabet blocks. Like, the old-school ones made out of wood, with colorful letters and numbers on them. I picked up a set for about $15 locally, but you could probably find them in a thrift shop or at garage sales. I have eight big planters on my balcony, and I put 3 or 4 under each pot.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 11:06

If you have any candy molds or silicone ice cube trays, you can cast some pourstone or mortar in them to make clean pot risers. You just silicoe or mortar them to the bottom of the pot or not dependig on the shape (cubes really don't need any help, half spheres on the other hand). You can even add concrete colorant if you want to try to match the color of the pot.

o

For large pots I use plastic drink cups filled with clay. The best description of my other idea would be best pictured
SEE BELOW

Meiwa tree in airator with blowdryer refresh tree with warm oxegen Airator can to left. Tree to right fits in airator. Blow dryer forces warm air though tree from pots drain holes photo IMG_3619_1_zpsc3b561c7.jpg
The empty can next to the seed grown meiwa kumquat tree will get a citrus tree in it. The cut off can with the hole in its side collects excess water so it works well inside on furniture and provides an air hole to fit a blow-dryer to blow air into the roots. Roots need fresh air on a regular bases or the plants can stagnate and can even die in bad cases. The link below shows a meiwa kumquat tree grown from seed using this aeration / water collection system. It's growth rate double when I set this up.

This works with drink cups up to and beyond 55 gallon drums and keeps ground insects from working up in your potted plant.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

o

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the ideas. I may try a combo of all as some pots are very decorative and exposed on my pool deck whereas others are tucked away within the garden beds.

o

I'm using slices of PVC pipe.

o

Another vote for slices of PVC pipe but any small chunks of wood work well. You can pick up one old used 2x4 free lots of places or for a couple of bucks and make 48 2" risers out of it.

Dave

o

With the start of this thread, I got to thinking of Ideas for my customers. I ask him, are you saving you childs baseball bat from 30 years ago or would you like to place those memories under you potted flowers. We used a dark ash stain and polyurethaned them. The perfectly round coasters look great, and should take him through to very old age.

As for the pots tucked in garden bed I use pots with no bottom in them and the roots pass right though while the container helps shape and boost the plant. The link below shows what I am using. You could use something much more attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5869826671114565057?banner=pwa

o

Walking around the yard this morning trying to see where the most water puddles (we had a serious "frog-choking rain" here yesterday and today. I noticed a few concrete sprinkler head donut-protectors tucked behind some shrubs. They worked perfectly for my garden pots. Pretty pleased :)

o

My final 2 cents worth. Pennys stack of 3 in 3 place. Use gravity to hold them in place. Total cost 9 sense per pot

o

LOVE IT! I may actually glue them but that may be perfect for my pool deck pots. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here