Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting vining Plants-What Size Pots?

Posted by awestruck (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 16:26

I am going to plant some vining plants like cantaloupe and passion flower and am wondering what size pot (fabric) should I use for these vining plants? The reason I am asking is because if you go to the Smart Pot web site, their measurements seem kind of ridiculous, or maybe I am wrong. For example, they recommend a 20 gallon fabric container for tomatoes. I see some of the posters in this forum have used 10 gallon pots for trees. Their recommendations for vining plants like cantaloupe are the 15 gallon pots. If the plant is vining, why would it need such a big pot? What size would be good for this type of plant? The plant will be climbing the balcony rails hopefully! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting vining Plants-What Size Pots?

The pot is for the growing medium and the roots. Not sure why the vining nature of a plant would reduce rootball size.

o
RE: Planting vining Plants-What Size Pots?

So, if I have a vine that will grow six or seven feet in length, what size would the rootball be and how much space would it need? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here