Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5:1:1 and degree of compostedness of bark

Posted by Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal) (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 16:31

Hello!

Just to make sure I understand in a *basic* way.

Is this right?

For the 5:1:1, the best bark is if it's either a) partly composted, or in a pinch, b) uncomposted.

But you don't want *fully* composted b/c it will be too fine.

Is that right?

I very very much appreciate all the knowledge here.

At the same time, I do need to actually go get some of this stuff and I get overwhelmed by too much theory.

I am going to look for dime-sized or fingernail sized bits, and I am not going to screen, and I hope that will work. (Screening may happen in the future, I hope.)

Thanks again for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5:1:1 and degree of compostedness of bark

You are on the right track. IMO what you said is ok. The mix will decompose fast enough anyway if it starts out uncomposted. The only thing I learned from experience, is to start with a mix that is a bit more water retentive. The 511 drains almost too well. I needed more like 521, or 421 to start or my pots dried out way too fast for blueberries. Just don't add lime to the mix. Add garden gypsum for calcium and supplement the magnesium with some kind of fertilizer.

This post was edited by edweather on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 17:44

o

Hello Need2SeeGreen. Yes you have that correct. For Al's "grit mix" you should use uncomposted pine or fir bark if possible, and for the 5-1-1 slightly composted pine/fir bark is ideal. I believe the idea here is that the more composted the bark is, the more water it will hold and the more it will fill in the small air pockets within the soil.

I'm attaching a photo I've posted in a different thread. This might help show the difference between composted and fresh bark.

The top photo shows pine bark that is mostly fresh, but just starting to break down (compost) slightly. This could be used for either the grit mix (with screening) or for the 5-1-1 mix (no screening required). The center photo shows older pine bark that is well into the composting process. As you see, the bark is still visible, but much of it has turned to small particles and dust. This composted bark is what I'm using for the 5-1-1 mix, and because it already has fine particles I'm not adding any peat to my 5-1-1 mix.

Hope that helps.

TYG

o

Wonderful, you-all -- thanks so much!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here