Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's growing mangos in the gritty mix?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 16:36

I am planning on getting a few mango trees to put in containers, and wondering how they will like this mix. I also have a longan tree that I want to containerize as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's growing mangos in the gritty mix?

Hi newgen...I am growing two potted Mango trees in gritty mix...one for over 3 and a half years, the other for over a year. They both seem to love this mix! They have fruits right now...

Here's a few pictures...

This was taken Feb. 2011 Blooming

Glenn Mango taken a days ago...some baby mangoes survived

Pickering Mango...taken a few weeks ago also

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 20:19

Those are some nice mango trees, thanks for the photos. Is Florida always that beautiful? An uncle of mine lives in South FL somewhere, he told me to come visit, and eat all the longans I want, they grow pretty well there.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 21:21

"Is Florida always that beautiful?"

It is around Nancy's house! ;-) Great shots, Nance. Nice work, too!

Al

o

what's this gritty mix recipe again??

o

SO jealous. I didn't realize they could fruit when so small.. I've only been exposed to the massive old growth mango trees in India. Trust me, nothing beats a ripe Alphonso mango fresh off the tree :P But I'm sure your fruits are miles away from the tasteless balls of fiber you get at the store...

o

Thanks Newgen and Al!! No Florida isn't always this nice,lol...we get VERY hot and very HUMID here in the Spring and Summer!! Other than a few days of winter freeze the winters here are the best.

Greentiger, If you get "grafted" mango trees...they can fruit quite early. Its the seedlings that takes many years to fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gritty Mix

o

Newgen, I hope you don't mind...but I wanted to post a couple of pictures of my Desert Rose for Al...its one of the plants that he likes and I'm also growing it in Gritty mix...so its not completely off topic :o)

o

That DR is gorgeous!!! I love the bright, glowing color.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 20:55

Ohhhhhhhh! I LOVE that plant!!!!!!! Can't get enough of it, sooo winsome! I'm soo jealous (not really - happy for you) - the nicest I've seen, Nance. Now you've done it though - the most difficult part of attaining perfection is finding something to do for an encore! ;-)

YPA

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 3:15

That desert rose is a masterpiece!!! Even a non-bonsai grower like me can appreciate the solid, tortuous trunk/roots mass, delicately slammed into the small pot, with a fiery burst of flame at the top. Nice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here