Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dt3kt

Curling tomato branches and leaf ailments

dt3kt
12 years ago

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor and am trying my hand at container gardening with tomatoes and a variety of hot peppers. Most of my hot pepper look pretty good, albeit for 2 months of growth they are still at about 3-5 inches in height. My tomatoes (1 is a bloody butcher and the other is a Black Krim) started off very well and shot up to about 18 inches without any problems. In the past two weeks they have seem stunted in growth and have begun to develop leaf and branch curling.
{{gwi:22526}}
This branch has almost curled into a double circle. The curling is only happening on newer grown branches

At this same time I noticed what I think are aphids (they look like little black flies).
{{gwi:22529}}

I started trying to control with with a mix of dish soap and water spray. After a week of using that spray and the little buggers seemed to keep multiplying I have now started using Ortho Elementals Spray to try controlling them better. Now within the past few days I've noticed the leaves on one of the plants have developed some spots that look like it's watersoaked and other leaves have see through "bullet holes".
{{gwi:22530}}
This is the "water-soaked" looking leaves on the older growths on the plant.

{{gwi:22532}}
And these are the bullet holes on the leaves, also on the older plant growth.

I'm nearly at my wits end in trying to control whatever has taken control of my plants. These were started from seed in Feb. and I'm almost to the point of pulling them, throwing them away and just buying pre-grown seedlings from a local garden source. Any ideas, suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Comments (4)