Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj_speciosa

Gritty mix question

cj_speciosa
11 years ago

Hello,

I've recently started using Al's gritty mix after scouring through his extremely helpful posts concerning my houseplants. My question is, do I add the lime directly to the mix with the rest of the material or do I use the lime in the liquid fertilizer mixture? I can't seem to find the answer.

He says to use 1 Tbsp of lime per gallon of potting mix......I can take that either way.

Anyone care to chime in??

Comments (11)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

If you want to add lime (?) to Gritty Mix, just mix it in.

• sutremaine
    11 years ago

The lime is supposed to be added to the mix as an ingredient. I don't know why adding it afterwards isn't discussed as an option, because I keep forgetting the lime / gypsum at mixing time.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

NO LIME is used in the Gritty Mix. GYPSUM is used in the Gritty Mix, spread evenly throughout.

Lime is used in the 5-1-1, thoroughly incorporated at mixing time.

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

Josh, before you clarified, my entire world was on the verge of collapsing, haha!

Grace

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Josh, before you clarified, my entire world was on the verge of collapsing, haha!"

How does this add to the discussion at all?

Thanks Josh.

• nil13
    11 years ago

now be nice, CJ. Friends are allowed to partake in silly banter on threads.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Meaning, I believe, that Sugi was thinking, "Oh no, I've made my mix with the wrong ingredient!" But after the clarification, she realized that she had the Lime in the 5-1-1 as should be, and thus her world fell back into order.

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

Sorry for not adding real value, CJ. In the last 2 months I've reported everything into Al's gritty mix or 5:1:1 and it's been an ordeal. The thought of having to redo it all makes me shudder so I exclaimed my relief "out loud". :-)

Josh, basically verbatim what I was thinking! Thanks!

Grace

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol.....maybe that came across a bit harsh. My apologies. I'm new here and don't know you guys like that.....I took it the wrong way.

What happened with the gritty mix?? No good? Please do tell....

I'm waiting to see how my stuff responds first. I replanted a sansevieria so far but it's too early to tell. The last thing I want is to repot everything and have it all go down hill...

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

CJ, nothing happened. Everything has grown great so far and I can't give it enough praise. As I've told Al, he's made gardening (and experimenting) fun again!

But given my obsessive way, I repotted everything when I bought it. Then after reading much, much more, I started repotting into a much better-draining mix of stuff, then decided I will repot AGAIN into Al's 5:1:1 for some and gritty for many others.

So I did.

And if lime was what I needed to add to gritty mix, I'd be doing the whole damn thing over again, haha. Keep in mind that after a 6 year hiatus, I came back to gardening in January. Of 2013. Yes, that many repots since! Hence, my comment.

But really, give it a try. If you're coming from plain soil, it takes a considerable amount of getting used to, to register that yes, indeed, your plants ARE getting enough water. It seems impossible at first! But now, the plants kind of speak for themselves and I've had to accept that it's true. :-)

But definitely, GYPSUM is what you use for gritty mix. I got the pellet kind by Encap, and merely threw into the soil while mixing it all up. I think i bought that at OSH. At this time, I have 90% of my houseplants in GM, 100% of succulents in GM, and the remainder of the plants in 5:1:1 or some variation of it depending on the plant (i.e. peppers have more than one part soil, etc.).

The only plant I took out of GM and switched to 5:1:1 was the kumquat tree--and I daresay I was being hasty. But that was the only one that did drop some leaves and in hindsight, it probably had more to do with sun placement than soil. The others never missed a beat despite severe root pruning.

I've attached my whole saga below. :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: Taking on Gritty Mix

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well...my only complaint so far is that after watering, the water drains into the tray so fast that I have a tray full of water that I have to empty. Before I'd leave it and it would just get soaked back up.....I don't think that's going to happen now......