Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

Bush beans in a 5 gallon pot?

vp_78
9 years ago

My kids and I planted some bush bean seeds a week or two ago, and the little sproutlings just reached the surface. We planted them in a black 5 gallon container and we have 6 sproutlings.

My questions:

1. Will the beans produce if grown in a 5 gallon container? Or should I transplant into a larger container? If I need something larger, about how large should I go?
2. If the 5 gallon container is ok, should I eliminate all but one plant? Or can I grow more than one?
3. I added EB Stone Sure Start (4-6-2) to the planter right before we planted the seeds. I also was given some EB Stone Tomato and Vegetable food (4-5-3). At what point do I add more fertilizer?
4. The leaves of the new sproutlings seem a bit yellowish at the edges. Is that typical?

On behalf of myself and my kiddos (especially my pre-schooler who seems to be fascinated by this whole process!), I thank you for any info!

Comments (12)

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW I did not use an inoculant (read about it only after I planted the seeds). Is it too late to add? I also have citrus GrowMore, which is chelated iron and other micronutrients, plus I have liquid kelp that I can also add. And what about coffee grounds? Do beans like them?

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

This sounds good to me. I'd just water them and let them run, not fertilize unless they seem to stall.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

[duplicate removed]

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:49

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

[duplicate removed]

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:50

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

What kind of soil did you use in the container? I would probably thin to 1 plant in a 5 gallon container. I've never transplanted beans, but 1 (2 max) per 5 gallon container is good if you want them to grow properly and produce. If it's just a fun experiment, leave them and see what happens. IMO skip the inoculant. With containers I like to fertilize with a weak solution of liquid fertilizer like Miracle gro at 1/4 strength with every watering.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I planted the seeds using EB Stone Edna's Best Potting Soil. So maybe I'll leave two in on opposite sides of the pot. My son is in awe at this whole process, so even if we only get a few beans, it will have been worth it!

If I want to plant some that will actually produce, how large of a container should I use?

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

This Ohio State University FactSheet has a good compendium of recommendations.

They recommend something that is perhaps surprisingly small, 8" or 1.5 gallons [per plant].

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Vegetable Gardening

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:42

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Just noticed my duplicates above. Sorry, I must have refreshed the page, and that must have reposted the comment.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Johns! Very helpful info!!!

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I think you should leave all the seedlings in the container. I grew about 15 in a 15 gallon pot last year, and they produced enough to feed a family of four a few meals a week for about three weeks. Didn't seem crowded to me. Bush beans have a short period of producing and need to be picked as soon as they are ready, which means pods a little smaller than green beans you would buy in the store. As soon as you allow pods to get oversized, they will shut down. I actually grew Filet Beans, which are small plants. So my advice may be wrong if you have beans that grow larger bushes.

• vp_78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well we are down to two plants in my 5 gallon container, and we're now about a month into the growing period. I was thinking about planting another couple of seeds in the same pot so that when the current ones are done, we'll have another crop waiting. Will that work? Any thoughts?

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I did that. Seemed to work well.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County