Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cardboard box growing, and garbage bag growing

Posted by pearsaml 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 17:55

I want to use some garbage bags and cardboard boxes to grow some veggies in. Is there anything I should look for regarding the garbage bags in terms of safety? Do they need to be made of a certain type of plastic?

Also, have any of you grown anything in cardboard boxes before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cardboard box growing, and garbage bag growing

Almost all garbage bags are made of polyethylene, which is thought to be the safest plastic. However, unless it is specifically "food grade" plastic, the dyes and other chemicals used in the processing of the plastic will leach into the soil.

Is it enough to really matter? I doubt it. But if you want to be on the safe side, use "food grade" garbage bags, which you can get from restaurant/kitchen supplies. They aren't expensive, but they're usually clear and somewhat flimsy. Ziploc bags meant for food storage are also obviously food grade, and made from polyethylene.

Compostable garbage bags should also be safe, but would they last a growing season? I don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here