Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Beefsteak Tomatoes in a 1/2 Wooden Barrel Container

Posted by joebronx 22 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 18:05

I am a New York to West Los Angeles transplant and a gardening newbie. I have a 1/2 wooden whiskey barrel in which I'd like to grow Beefsteak Tomatoes. What variety of Beefsteaks are recommended? How many plants will fit in a 1/2
barrel for a maximum yield? Have you a recommended LA Area nursery? A grateful thanks for any and all advice offered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Beefsteak Tomatoes in a 1/2 Wooden Barrel Container

I'm not familiar with how many plants will fit in half a barrel. I can only guess and say possibly 2. As far as types of beefsteaks, two that I usually grow are Brandywine Suddeths, and Cherokee Purple. Also check over on the tomato forum and you'll get lots of suggestions.

o

Hmm. Los Angeles is zone 10, correct? I might be wrong, but I think you're way too late for the spring/summer tomato season. Even if your plants grow, you'll get hardly any fruit. Cherry tomatoes are really the only kind that will set blossoms in extreme heat. You can always try again in late august - many people in Houston (zone 9) get a much bigger harvest of tomatoes in the fall.

o

Actually we're in Sunset Zone 22 here. Tomato plants are just showing up this week in nursery and big box stores. Any thought on how many Beefsteak plants a 1/2 barrel would hold?
Thanks for your response.

o

Wow, sorry about the erroneous advice then. You don't mention how large it actually is... the ones sold in big box stores are usually smaller than a real half-barrel. If growing beefsteaks, particularly the Brandywine, I wouldn't try to fit a second plant in there. In my (short) experience, Brandywines appreciate plenty of room horizontally (as well as vertically), and have large, heavy stems and leaves. Many other types you could squeeze in two per barrel if you had to.

o

Many thanks...you weren't all wrong. I'm a newbie at this.
West LA is in zone 10, but the rest is correct. Tomato plants are just arriving at local nurseries. The 1/2 barrel is a genuine wine barrel from a California winery. The nursery recommended a new Japanese variety called a Momotaro and two local container gardeners (both Brandywine types) said they planted this new variety last year and had fabulous yield and taste fruit! I just lucked into the plants, they are hard to come by. They both suggest two plants per 1/2 barrel. Many thanks for your help as I begin my grand adventure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here