Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about fertilizing

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 18:06

First off I tried doing a search about fertilizing with container gardening, I didn't really find anything; this is preemptive. 2nd with the questions listed below, please just answer the questions that I posted. I've tried asking questions about fertilizing, and I received information about everything there is to know about fertilizing, but I didn't get answers to the questions I asked.

I use the container gardening soil mixture listed below:

2-3 cu ft pine bark fines
5 gallons peat
5 gallons perlite
2 cups dolomitic (garden) lime (or gypsum in some cases)
2 cups CRF (if preferred)
1/2 cup micro-nutrient powder (or other source of the minors - provided in some fertilizers)

Small batch:
3 gallons pine bark
1/2 gallon peat
1/2 gallon perlite
4 tbsp lime (or gypsum in some cases)
1/4 cup CRF (if preferred)
micro-nutrient powder (or other source of the minors)

I have a few simple questions. The instructions are basically you mix everything together, and if desired, you mix in fertilizer when you make your container gardening soil mixture.

If you add fertilizer to your soil mixture when you make up the batch, will you have to fertilize the plants later, even though there is fertilizer in the soil mixture because you added it when you first planted?

If you add fertilizer to your soil mixture when you mix it up, is it necessary to fertilize seedlings with a weak fertlizer solution (one that is diluted and specifically designed for fertilizing seedlings....I'm not referring to seedling transplants, I'm referring to seeds that are directly sown outdoors, where they're going to be grown from the time they're planted, until they're harvested)

Which is the better route to go with fertilizing? Should you just omit adding the fertilizer when you mix up the soil mixture, and then fertilize as the plants grow, or should you just add it to your soil mixture initially and then fertilize when the plants are bigger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about fertilizing

This is the " container" growing forum not for direct sowing... the two methods vary greatly

o
RE: questions about fertilizing

I mix CRF only in containers 4 inch and larger, one teaspoon per gallon, added only as the containers are planted, not into the mix in bulk. Because most CRF is formulated to release at 70 degrees or higher, I also use a water soluble 9-3-6 early in the season when the temperature is cool. In the garden, not container mix, I do not use any fertilizer, only compost and mulch. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here