Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki141

Difficult container solution needed

MIcki141
10 years ago

I just joined this forum and am impressed by the knowledge this group has and shares. I'm hoping you can help me solve a problem.
On the north side of the house (in northern NY state where winters are very cold and windy) the house is set in bedrock. We have no rain gutters, and when it rains, the water sheds off the north side so hard that it starts to seep into the basement through the rock. We put a 18" 1/2 pipe on the ground under the roof line and this has all but eliminated the seepage. But it's ugly!
We're thinking of building a 40' long raised bed under the roof line, putting the 1/2 pipe into the bottom of it, and setting it at a slight angle so that water drains from the end.
QUESTION: what could we plant in it that would:
1. grow with little sunlight (some filtered afternoon light in the summer when the sun comes around the house)
2. be deer resistant (we're in the woods and the deer are not shy about grazing right up to the door)
3. could survive the force of water sheeting off the roof during downpours.
4. could survive snow/ice slidng off the roof (it's a metal roof so it tends to come off quickly and land hard)

Since the snow/ice slides can be pretty severe, I'm thinking that perennials that die back completely might be best, as anything shrubby is likely to be broken.

Any suggestions would be so welcomed!

Comments (3)