Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandevilla identification

Posted by nkda1819 7b - AR (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 08 at 18:11

Hi Everyone,

My local Wal-Mart had a grand opening for their new garden center and had some nice tropicals on sale. I picked up two 'Mandevillas', the first of which looks like a classic pink vining plant that I have previously associated with the name Mandevilla. The second, however, has deep red flowers, smaller smooth leaves, and shows no interest in vining.

First plant:

Second plant:

Any thoughts on exactly what the red one is and how its care should differ, if at all, from the typical Mandevilla in the first picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandevilla identification

• Posted by rosco_p z6a ont.canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 21:32

NKDA: I think you will find your first pictured Mandevilla to be Alice Dupont" and the second to be "Crimson Parasol" I can't help you with the care instructions as I am just trying to keep my first year Mandevillas alive myself.

o
RE: Mandevilla identification

I agree with the above id's. They split the mandevilla and dipledinia (crimson parasol)into two separate categories. The care is about the same. They want moist but well drained soil. They (here in Texas) like morning sun and some afternoon shade for the hot parts of the summer but both take full sun during the cooler spring and fall months. They can be prone to scale, white fly and mealy bug but if kept healthy don't have many problems. They are a fairly heavy feeder so keep up with the fert of your choice regularly through the growing season. They will need good protection from coldest part of your winter or bring inside to guarantee survival. They can make it in 8 with protection but only in our milder winters.
Hope this gives you most of what you were looking for and as always.... Happy Planting David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here