Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think of this soil?

Posted by greenthumb2011 Mayland (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 18:24

Hey guys I have read just about everything I can find on this forum about the soils used in containers and SWC and plan on setting up my own SWC in about two weeks. I have bult a prototype with the soil mix and it seems to be working great but want some other insight. Here is my mix
30% compost- Leafpro
30% partialy composted pine and hardwood bark- Claybreaker (also contains gypsum)
20% perlite
10% peat
10% aged mannure/hummus
Moisture level seems very good over a 2 week period in prototype but there are no plants in it and it has been pretty cool so it has not needed any additional water is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of this soil?

Pull out a handful of your mix from the very bottom and describe what you see. The results will tell us if the mix is too heavy, which I think it is.

Ron

o

When I dig to the Bottom the mix is nice and moist(maybe a little wet is this bad) and is in about half dime size peices. If a picture would help i will post one tomorrow afternoon. If it is to heavy how would you change it? Please- Feel free to give suggestions on how you would change either way. I have made this according to things I have read and tried to get the best of all the diffrent mixes all in one.

o

For SWC, your mix will always end up being too wet at the bottom. If it isn't then the capillary action won't be strong enough to keep your plants watered, when they are larger and the weathers hot.

Your mix looks ok to me. I found using about 50:50 absorbent-to-fast draining materials as the best for SWCs. So your bark + perlite is 50%.

If you are going to set up an automatic watering system, you might want to just consider regular draining pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here