Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with compost!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 18:33

I mainly plan on only using one soiless mix this year.

The 'recipe' I use is below....

2-3 cubic feet pine bark mulch
5 gallons perlite
5 gallons peat moss

2 c time-release fertilizer (that's designed for container gardening; I mix osmocote directly into the mix when I make it)

I want to make a minor adjustment to the above recipe.

Can I add a small amount of compost to the above mix, without it adversely affecting drainage? It's namely for
root veggies, (which I've noticed from growing them in containers....this is based on past experience) prefer a mix with a little compost in it and for heavy feeders (melons, squash, cukes, zukes).

One lg. batch of the above mix yields 30-35 gallons; I would be adding 10%-20% compost per batch (10% of this for a large batch would be 3 to 3-1/2 gallons per lg. batch; 20% for a large batch would be 6-7 gallons).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with compost!

Finished compost can be substituted in for the peat moss, or can be used as a supplement for the peat moss portion.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here