Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with my tomato hanging basket

Posted by organic_wonderful 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 19:10

I'm about to plant a couple of hanging baskets with tomatoes but have a few questions that I'd like to ask. I am planning on using coir liners in wire baskets, and am going to be planting the determinates 'Tumbling Tom Yellow', 'Hanging basket tomato F1 tumbler', 'F1 Sweet 'n' Neat Cherry' and maybe a pepper 'hot super chilli F1' plant. I know I'm supposed to use plastic inserts inside the coir liners, but I don't have any to hand. So, can I just cut some plastic garbage bags up and use them instead to improvise?

Also should I just plant the tomato plants in the top, or should I be cutting holes in the coir liner and poke various plants through them so they can grow around the sides?

Are there any companion plants I can plant with the tomato plants that you would recommend? Someone recommended French Marigold to me, so I don't know whether that would be a good choice or not. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with my tomato hanging basket

Bless you my son, for you obviously dont know thattttttttt, you dont tug on supermans cape, you dont spit in the wind, and you dont plant tomatos in hanging baskets.
against the wind, we were running against the wind. Good luck in your adventure.

Plant em if you got em.
Sam

o
RE: Need help with my tomato hanging basket

The tomatoes I have are special varieties that have been bred for hanging baskets and patio growing. Some of the seed packets even say 'perfect for hanging baskets' and have photos of the tomatoes in hanging baskets.

Sorry, I don't know why I didn't ask this (I must have got confused when typing out the post) - instead of the plastic inside the coco liner, can I just put one of those plastic round trays that you put under plant pots to collect run off at the bottom of the hanging basket? I've read that if you place one at the bottom, it helps retain water in the hanging basket and could be a substitute. Is this right?

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here