Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using landscape fabric in a container garden

Posted by Lmnissen NY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 19:10

I'm starting to set up several containers for various plants.(tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, carrots, bush beans, cukes and beets) This is going to be a bit of an experiment because I'm using containers of various sizes from 3 gallon - 31 gallon. I'm planning on creating a variation of the earthtainer but only using one storage bin per container(because of cost). Is the landscape fabric a necessity?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using landscape fabric in a container garden

I think you need to explain a little more. How can it be an earthtainer, which is self watering, if you are only using one container?

o

I made one with only one container but had to cut the top out to make the bottom level above the the water level. Is that what are you are thinking about?

o

Thew function of the Landscape Fabric is two-fold.

First, It keeps the Grow Media from falling through the aeration holes down into the water reservoir.

Second (and most important) it inhibits the tomato plant's roots from driving down into the water reservoir, which in my experience, leads to bland tasting tomatoes. Have you ever tasted a really vibrant Hydroponic tomato - - probably not.

You can figure out how to prop up the container's lid to make a platform for the Grow Media - - but at the end of the day, is it really worth all the fiddling around to "save" $14.00 or so? I think not.

Raybo

o

I have SIP planters I made with 18 gallon plastic bins, and I only use one. I cut the inner part of the lid out and use cable ties to secure six 2 3/4" pieces of ABS to support the lid, I still have the outer portion of the lid to secure plastic or landscape fabric at the top. I can't see any advantage to using two containers except for the small amount of extra work involved in cutting the ABS and securing it to the lid.

o

Thanks for the replies. I never had any hydroponic veggies, but bland tasting ones sorta defeats the purpose of growing my own so I'm definitely going to use the landscape fabric. I am using the inner area of the lid with drilled holes to create the platform. Its going to be supported with 4 small plant baskets and the one wicking basket secured in the center. The outer part of the lid will still be used to secure the plastic on the top. Because I'm doing this as a type of community garden I'm making several of these so using only one bin saves me almost $200. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here